Friday, February 6, 2015

"I work out!" -LMFAO


 It happens more often than not , that a social media platform that I had eagerly subscribed to, spouts out a combustible video clip of a workout that seems just perfect (for me). The clip is synced to the most perfect musical accompaniment and showcases an extremely fit and adequately exhausted fitness instructor performing the routine. The entire circuit is snipped to fit the 15 sec time limit but the stop watch clearly shows 5 minutes on the clock. 

This my friend is the illusion, crafted so beautifully and effortlessly that it convinces my brain that I can to this fabulous circuit. No sweat! (pun intended).

 For the next couple of minutes I replay it in my head on a loop, only here, its me doing it. Me, in all my glory. In my head, I am wearing gorgeous sports gear, I have lost all the extra weight, I am very toned, I execute every posture perfectly, I  maintain impeccable form and beautiful balance and every walking lunge that I do is sheer Perfection!

Flash forward to where the rubber meets the road. 

The stage is set, the body is adequately warmed up, the weights are firmly gripped.. it could happen any time now!

The first lunge forward is a little shaky, but with minor correction , I forge forward. A quick check in the right side mirror confirms that my knee is jutting just beyond the toe, no problem, quick adjustment, weight shifts to the other leg and with the dip and a semi-decent closing step, its done.

Then comes lunge number two. Lunge forward, total loss of balance! Who all saw that!? (quick check all around), not  many people paying attention (whew!). The mirror shows that I have it completely wrong and sheepishly I close the step.

Now comes lunge number three.. 

I don’t know if I want to do this, any more. I debate a change in exercise.. lets just stick to squats or maybe the smith machine can assist stationary lunges, or maybe I could get back to it after I have mastered it at home, where I am more confident, maybe something would work as well as lunges, maybe I might end up just hurting myself, 5 minutes for lunges is too much..

This, is where push comes to shove. 

This, is the point where in lies the answer to my biggest question:

What will it take? (for me to get into the shape I want, to drop the extra weight, for me to get fitter and firmer!)

The answer also, lies right beside it.


All it will take… is for me not to give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment