Friday, February 6, 2015

The Morning After


It is with a strongly conflicted state of mind that I address this issue.

The subject at hand is a day that is blessed with a solid hour at the gym, where a highly motivated individual (yours truly) has given it all in a high intensity workout (a la HIIT!) targeted at the shoulders and triceps (here’s looking at you Michelle!).

After exhaustive research and custom tailoring a workout that challenges and thus (hopefully), rewards me with sculpted upper body, I decide to rechristen Tuesdays as ‘Shoulder & triceps Day'. Amen.

Post-workout, I glide through the day feeling toned, strong and invincible! I go to bed feeling highly rewarded and extremely hopeful. I dream of flaunting my gains in gorgeous Oscar-worthy couture! Its paradise in my head! A very satisfied gym-er ends the day.

The person who wakes up in that bed is a different story all together. Different and disastrous!

My arms won’t move without pain. My entire body is sore. Everything hurts. Uprighting myself has never been this challenging. Brushing my teeth seems impossible. The idea of coffee is dismissed completely. All I can think of is pain and giving in to the temptation of painkillers. I almost do, except I can barely move! I almost write off ever going to the gym, ever!

And then, somewhere in between feeling sorry for myself and the soothing caress of caffeine, the ache becomes bearable almost likeable. Slowly but surely, it transforms into a sweet and tender reminder of the day before. It changes from regret to affirmation. It signals the beginning of change. 

The start of something new, something beautiful… Namely.. ME!


What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger! 

1 comment: